Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Icing on a Leadership Cake

What I do everyday, is what I do everyday. I couldn't possibly sit down and outline all the different things that go into my day, but I know one thing... I love what I do.


Today, I had the pleasure of speaking to someone from Franklin Covey. She is doing a presentation to the early childhood community on The Leader in Me in Massachusetts and wanted to hear how we are implementing the program in our school.


I could feel myself getting beyond excited. I feel like I am usually attempting to explain this to  people outside our program without any frame of reference. Some get it. Some are polite enough to pretend. But for the most part, they have no idea the point of it.


She got it. She understands how amazing The Leader in Me is from her experience with elementary schools. She told me she didn't have much experience with early childhood education but hearing about our 4 year old classroom, who decided to help babies in need in our community and planned every. single. last. aspect of their project, (even earning an award from a local news station) wowed her. WOWED HER.

She was so excited to hear that in 2 short years it has improved our program on all levels. Administrators that work better together, who empower teachers and teachers who invest their blood, sweat and tears into our students and students (even toddlers and infants) who are learning communication skills and ways to be in charge of themselves from birth... it wowed her.


The more and more I told her, the more and more I realized this is so much bigger than I ever imagined, even than what I thought about when I decided to start this blog. I cannot wait to see what our infants and toddlers are going to be like when they finish preK. The preK classes we have had, have already proved to take so much away from what we have taught them. I cannot wait to see how these skills are going to help our youngest students improve their environment, their view of the world and their voice in it. The impact they have on us as educators and parents... is really just icing on the cake.

2 comments:

  1. My school just went through The Leader in Me training this week and our preschool staff is excited about this new journey! If you have tips or suggestions to help get us going I would love to hear about them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry I am taking so long to respond! I would be more than happy to share any and everything I can!

    ReplyDelete